Tuesday 8 May 2012

Introduction - Project Photographing Movement - Shutter Speeds

In this project the theme is Photographing Movement and in this particular exercise is the use of shutter speeds to freeze movement of show a feeling of movement.  
My intention for this exercise was not to use the idea of water flowing over rocks, but this weekend we went on a long walk that included a large number of waterfalls of all different sizes (10 miles covered and probably more than that many waterfalls if the small ones were included), so the obvious thing was to incorporate this exercise into the day......and see what photos I could achieve.  It being a bank holiday weekend the area was busy and I was able only to photograph a few sites on the route to any useful degree (Dogs/children and tripods with cameras on do not go together).


We came across the following site when there was only one other person there so I took advantage of the time and set up the camera on my tripod on the edge of the river to start taking photo's.  I had only taken my kit lens and my telephoto with me due to weight restrictions and as I felt that in most cases I would be able to capture the scenes with these.



Exif Data
Camera:  Canon EOS 7d
ISO Rating:  100
Shutter Speed:  1/100 sec
F-Stop:  f/4
Focal Length:  27mm
Lens: Canon 18-55mm




The shutter speed here shows a degree of movement, it has neither frozen the water movement or allowed it to blur totally.  



Exif Data
Camera:  Canon EOS 7d
ISO Rating:  100
Shutter Speed:  0.30 sec
F-Stop:  f/20
Focal Length:  27mm
Lens: Canon 18-55mm




A much slower shutter speed and the water appears more like ribbons flowing over the edge, a much softer look, but the larger areas of water are slightly over exposed against the darker rock face.


I decided also at this stage that the composition was slightly impaired by the branches in the top left and right corners, so decided to change my position before doing a fuller range of photos.




Exif Data
Camera:  Canon EOS 7d
ISO Rating:  100
Shutter Speed:  1/8 sec
F-Stop:  f/16
Focal Length:  43mm
Lens: Canon 18-55mm



Exif Data
Camera:  Canon EOS 7d
ISO Rating:  100
Shutter Speed:  1/250 sec
F-Stop:  f/5
Focal Length:  43mm
Lens: Canon 18-55mm





Exif Data
Camera:  Canon EOS 7d
ISO Rating:  100
Shutter Speed:  1.0 sec
F-Stop:  f/32
Focal Length:  43mm
Lens: Canon 18-55mm



A different composition and a range of shutter speeds.   I think that these three photos show the effect of different shutter speeds on movement.  


The slowest speed of 1/250 the water movement, although not frozen completely shows the individual droplets in places and the splash back as the water hits the bottom.  The second photo again is almost like a ribbon effect whilst the third is almost a solid sheet of white and has a surreal feeling to it.


Looking at these photos, they do show the overall effect of shutter speed well, in keeping the background in focus and sharp, whilst showing differing degrees of movement. Do I like them, yes and no.  I prefer the composition of the first set, apart from the clutter in the top corners, as they show the waterfall as the main focal point within the greater environment.  


With regard to the movement, I prefer the medium speed with this photo, but obviously this may not be the case with other types of genre. I like the semi-surreal feeling the water at these speeds, the movement softens the whole photo, but keeps the reality of what it is.








No comments:

Post a Comment