Friday 8 June 2012

Nature Exposed Exhibition


Today I decided to take a walk in the wind and rain to the "Nature Exposed Exhibition" at the Centrespce Gallery here in Bristol.  The Exhibition  is made up of photos from Marine and Natural History Photography Graduates of University College Falmouth and is being shown in Bristol as part of the "Bristol's Big Green Fringe 2012".

Having never been to Centrespace before and not really ever visited anything other the the yearly Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition, I am not sure that I will write this visit up well or miss things that I should have included...... but here goes.....

The gallery is a small space tucked away on a side street in the center of Bristol, but is well lit and ideal for small exhibition's like this. 





The Exhibition is made up of some 19 Graduate Photographers work; each having been working on a specific project for their degree.  The topics covered ranged from  Kayleigh Astle's Sand Dune Habitat's, which culminated into a a book aimed for educational use at Primary schools to Josh Jaggard's 7 month study of Carrick Roads in Cornwall, which has also seen a book produced of the work.  

Overall I found the exhibition very interesting, not only as I love nature and the Natural World, but because all the images exhibited were clear, bright, colourful and drew me in........

There were two sets that I particularly found interesting and that I kept wanting to return to look at again......

The first was by a Sam Fogg and his project was on Biomimicry, which apparently is a new science.....


I am not totally sure what it is that draws me to these photos.  They are clean, by that I mean uncluttered.  I am starting to think that I prefer photos that are of a specific thing, rather than those that show lots....and I think that Sam's photos are clean and clear.  The details in the photos are superb, every hair, partical is well defined, the focus is specific but not to the point that you don't want to look at other parts of the image. I also like that in most cases you would not recognise what the image if of....for example two of the photos on display are of the common house fly!!!

The other set I particularly liked was by Josh Jaggard, who spent 7 months studying the Carrick Roads Estuary in Cornwall.



Again I feel that the clean simplicity of the images ( reminds me of the saying "keep it simple") are what drew me to this particular.  The colour and clarity again are excellent.  I particularly enamored of the Owl, the clarity of the bird in flight is wonderful.  

I came away from the exhibition in awe of these young graduates and can only hope to aspire to their skill level by the time I reach graduation from the OCA.......and I hope to see more of their work in the future.

1 comment:

Josh Jaggard said...

Hi Pauline, Its Josh Jaggard, one of the exhibitors. I just came across this blog and wanted to say thank you for the kind words and Im glad you enjoyed the exhibition.

Kind Regards,
Josh Jaggard
www.wildlife-photos.co.uk

Post a Comment